Monday, January 13, 2014

Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza

As Superbowl Sunday approaches there really cant be too many good game day foods floating around on the internets, right?
 
 
This is one of those foods. The hubs devours it, I love it and even the two year old asks for more. Oh, yeah, its easy too.
 
Ingredients:
1 ball of dough
1/4-1/2 pound shredded chicken breast
3 strips of ready bacon
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
BBQ sauce of your choice
 
First- I had to defrost my dough. I used a brand called Rhodes that comes in a bag of three frozen loaves.  To defrost I simply pulled it out of the freezer, wrapped it in plastic wrapped sprayed with some PAM and let it do its thing. It took maybe three hours.  If you don't want to use frozen go to a local pizza shop and pick up a ball of dough, or make your own in a bread machine.
 
 
Next- I sprinkled the countertop with corn meal and rolled my dough out to the size of the pan. I actually rolled it over and then let it sit for 10 minutes on the pan before I par-baked the crust, so that it had all of its shrinking up out of its system. I used the extra edges I cut off to twist into some breadsticks for the toddler.  Before shoving it into a 400 degree oven I made sure to poke holes in the dough with a fork to keep it from getting large air bubbles all over the crust.
 
 
Let it par bake for 10 minutes. This is the secret to get the crust nice and crispy.  Once it comes out, I spread on my sauce which was a layer of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.
 
 
Then it was time to get the chicken out of the liquid it was poaching in (takes about 10 minutes) and shred it up.  I just used a chefs knife and sort of diced/crushed/chopped it all up. If you have chicken strips, those work too or a rotisserie chicken that you shred would also work just fine. Once it was in nice bite sized pieces, I tossed it all in a healthy dose of BBQ sauce.
 
Before putting on the chicken I cut up three strips of ready bacon and sprinkled them over the crust.
 
 
Because bacon makes it better, duh.  Then add on your layer of chicken, making sure to spread it evenly over the crust.
 
 
Then cover the whole thing in a healthy dose of cheddar cheese and pop back into the oven for another 10 minutes until its melted and bubbly.
 
 
 The thing I love the most about this is you can make it as easy or as gourmet at you would like. You can use pre-made dough, sauce, and a rotisserie chicken and you have very little prep involved. Or you can make your own BBQ sauce, dough and cook the chicken from raw. Whichever you prefer! Either way, its tasty and the perfect football food.
 
Tell me, what's your go to game day meal?
 


3 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Thank you for sharing ~ it'll be dinner one night this week! Visiting from #SITStribe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that looks delish! #SITStribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right up my alley! I love anything that I can tweak to fit my lifestyle, as crazy and hectic as it is and throw in football...ding ding we have a winner!

    I am visiting from the #SITStribe

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to stop by! I LOVE your comments, so please keep them coming! I promise I do read each and every one :)